Nicole's Class Blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

As my first blog entry, I'd like to introduce you to some of my favorite music:

This is Audra Mcdonald singing "Can't Stop Talking", by Frank Loesser. I recently sang this song as part of NYU Steinhardt's undergraduate music theatre showcase. Audra Mcdonald is one of my favorite performers. She has had a successful career in musical theatre, straight theatre, recorded music, and television. Each time I see her perform, I become more enamored of her unique and immense vocal talent and her deep commitment to communicating with her audience, regardless of genre or medium.


Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie was probably the first album I ever listened to. My parents played it over and over for me, and I believe that hearing someone as confident in his performance and interpretation of songs as Sinatra was made me interested in developing my own skills.


Ben Folds (here with his former band Ben Folds Five) is probably my favorite pop artist. His music can span many genres, especially when he improvises as he often does in concert. What I love about his writing is that it is often based on storytelling and character, much like musical theatre is.

3 Comments:

Blogger ABáez said...

Great videos!

June 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Wyzard said...

Try to do more inquiry through writing. Maybe you can catch up this weekend....

June 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger SeungEun's said...

Hi Nicole!
I often visited your homepages but just realized that you love Green!!
Did you ask Dr. Gilbert to put you into the Green team for the project?? Just kidding~ ^^;;;
Anyway, I love your project page because it is very well organized and clearly explained. I learned something that I didn't know before from your project page.
And these are nice videos!
I wish you have a happy summer and see you on campus soon~ ^^

July 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home