Nicole's Class Blog

Friday, July 3, 2009

The importance of "Point and Click" music

This morning, I went back to my music concrete project, and I started thinking about what it means when something is considered music. When I was working on the assignment, I had periods where I thought "what is the point of this, it's not really making music, it's just messing around", but as the project came together, I realized that my project was indeed music. In fact, it is some of the most unique music I have ever made because it was so spontaneous and improvised. I almost feel like I'm hearing about a great adventure when I listen to it.

I don't consider myself a composer. That's why it was so important for me to see that I could make a really valid composition using a tool like Audacity. Audacity and other recreational music authoring programs are breaking down barriers for people who might not otherwise have a way to create their own music. Amateur or "armchair" musicians are certainly just as important to the music community as professionals are. If amateurs lose their enthusiasm, I think the community would quickly shrink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home